Friday, May 4, 2012

Is it possible for me to update my notebook's video card?

I want to play Age of Empires 3 but I need a 64MB video card and I only have a 32 MB video card. I looked online to buy a new video card for it but I only see video cards for PC. Is it possible to install one myself, and if so how much would a 64MB card run me? Thanks!!|||No, and this is an FAQ. Due to limited space inside a notebook, the video card is built onto the mainboard, and since notebooks don't have expansion slots, it would NOT be possible to expand / replace / bypass your existing video card.



Some of the most advanced notebooks, like Alienware and Dell XPS, MAY have replaceable video modules, but it would be specific to their particular models, and costs MUCH MORE than a regular retail video card for desktops.|||Most video cards are part of the motherboard. However, from personal experience, many video cards (for Dell Latitudes for example) are NOT. However, Dell will not sell you an upgrade. They do occasionally update the hardware, so it is possible.



You will VERY rarely find a website that will sell components like motherboards and video cards. But it is not very common as Dell would normally change the line of laptops (D600 to D610 for example). Sometimes, you will get lucky (your 750 MHz cpu goes bad and Dell sends you a 1GHz), but that is rare.

No comments:

Post a Comment