Friday, April 27, 2012

Video, CPU and Motherboard upgrades in notebook?

Hey, so I posted something similar for RAM and got great results. how do I upgrade a video card, cpu and motherboard on a laptop? for example. an old laptop of mine has a processor socket s1 for my cpu. does that mean I can only look for cpu's that connect using s1? or can I use any cpu that has the same number of pins/brand?



my current info is:

1.90 Ghz

AMD Athlon X2 64 dual core

2 GB Ram



My video is intergrated into the motherboard, so I might need a new motherboard.



I'm not sure what my motherboard information is; but the old laptop I have is a Toshiba Satellite L300d - 037 (or something close to that, it's been discontinued)



I make good money at my job, and I could buy a new laptop, but I like to breathe new life into my laptop and gain experience taking apart and rebuilding laptops.|||no, you can not. Upgrading a laptop CPU is not just slapping a proc into a socket. In order to upgrade the cpu or video you're going to need to replace the mobo too and you cannot upgrade the mobo because the NEW mobo would need to have all the ports and plugs in the EXACT same place to fit in the clamshell. Because laptops are marketing driven, you will never find any two with all the ports in the same exact place.



Even if you could find the mobo, which you can NOT, Just asking that question means you are going to have to PAY to have everything installed. It literally would be cheaper to just buy a new machine.



Desktops are upgradeable even by beginners. Laptops are NOT upgradeable by consumers.|||Laptop RAM, hard drive & battery replacements are easy.



Video card updates typically require a new system board from the manufacturer, since the video chip is usually soldered directly to the motherboard, even in the case of discrete graphics. Replacement motherboards aren't available to end-users ever, and usually don't last very long in spare parts once prodution stops. Since motherboards in laptops are highly customized by the manufacturer, they're really not practical to replace.



CPUs can be upgraded, but usually isn't worth the time or effort. The compatible processor range is far more restricted than desktop processor upgrades. You have to find out which processors are compatible with your chipset, motherboard, BIOS and heatsink (an extra 10W TDP in a replacement can lead to rapid overheating in a laptop). Chipsets in mobile products tend to only support a few minor upgrade options. Laptop manufacturers don't tend to advertise which processors would be possible.



The best method I've used to find compatible processor upgrades is to scan through a list of the manufacturer's models. If the laptop was offered in the same series with a better processor, that better processor is very likely to work (they'd use the same BIOS for all models to save money).



In your example, while I'd really prefer to have the exact processor model # (or the exact laptop model) here's what I would do (I'm guessing at the processor)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 TK-57 - Socket S1g1, 31W http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Ath…

Socket S1g1 is used by - TK and TL (Turion x2) series processors

Best S1g1 processor available = AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile technology TL-68 2.4 GHz 35W - http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Tur…



The best you can do is about a 30% processing power increase, which requires FINDING a compatible processor (they aren't typically sold at retail) disassembling the laptop, usually without a service manual, and reassembling it. Yes, it is possible (and I have done so when I could get some replacement Pentium Ms for $20 each for my Celeron M laptop) but it's definitely not a cost effective approach.



EDIT -



Laptop motherboards are usually proprietary shapes and sizes based on getting the most components into the smallest possible volume. There is no standardized laptop motherboard form factor in comparison to the now very standard motherboards used in desktops, even by OEM manufacturers.



For example, while looking at an HP service manual the other day, I noticed something like a dozen different replacement motherboard part numbers listed, each with a different combination of video card and processor socket listed. Apple's MacBooks work much the same way - they are technically upgradeable, but it's almost cheaper to buy a new model.



I have to admit that the thought of not closing up the laptop never entered my mind. Visions of a 3" thick laptop held together with duct tape might inspire me to make a YouTube video.

No comments:

Post a Comment