Friday, April 27, 2012

I have a Gateway Notebook, can I update my video card?

I was wondering if it was possible to get a new video card installed on my notebook so I can play Sims 3 when it comes out. I'd like to get a NVIDIA or an ATI one because I hear you can't go wrong with them.|||On consumer-level notebooks, there is no video card but rather a graphics "chip" in your system's Discrete Logic ( a subsystem hardwired* or etched* on the motherboard ).



One way you can ensure the best total (graphics, video and otherwise) performance of your PC is to install the MAXIMUM amount of RAM that it can take.





The rule on that is determined by two limits:



1) Your OS (32-bit (XP or Vista) will have a limit of 4 GBs (about 3.5 for Windows and 0.5 for the hardware subsystem) and 64-bit (XP or Vista depending on version) can go from 8 to 128 GBs)



2) Your PC slots number and physical RAM acceptance (varies by manufacturer and model line)





* Hardwired means soldered to the motherboard

* Etched means burned on the motherboard ( those gold circuits lines )





The easiest way to get that information is to visit the support site of the PC manufacturer.





Sorry about that but NVIDIA or ATI cards go in desktops and towers

No comments:

Post a Comment